[ADOL-C] Building ADOL-C with OpenMP-support

Kshitij Kulshreshtha kshitij at math.upb.de
Fri Jul 15 03:59:12 EDT 2011

Hello,

As on 2011-07-13 17:09, Wolfgang Lorenz did write:
> Hello list readers,
>

> I just wanted to test the last stable version (2.2.0) of ADOL-C with
> OpenMP support. The manual stated to configure ADOL-C using the option
>
>     --with-openmp-flag=<flag>
>
> In case of gcc that's "-fopenmp", which is working fine with other
> projects. However, the build process ends with:
>
>     In file included from odedrivers.c:20:0:
>     ../../../ADOL-C/src/taping_p.h:297:2: error: #error nicht hier
>
> The compiler error is still present in the trunk of ADOL-C svn. The
> context in taping_p.h reads:
>
>          [...]
>     296  #if defined(_OPENMP)
>     297  #error nicht hier
>          [...]
>
> Is OpenMP currently not supported, is this a bug or did I miss
> something?

Going from ADOL-C versions 2.1.* to 2.2.* we incorporated a new internal
memory manager. This has caused several things to break, including
OpenMP. Unfortunately for us the new memory manager was written by a
colleague who is not involved in actively developing ADOL-C, so this
#error is a programming relic which went uncommented and undetected
until now. After some testing I found that the parallel initialization
functions have not been ported to the new memory manager, which is why
it was disabled.

Please fallback to ADOL-C 2.1.12 for using openMP for now. I'll work on
getting it to run with the new version soon.

--
Dr. Kshitij Kulshreshtha

Institut für Mathematik,
Universität Paderborn,