[BuildTools] Build problem on Ubuntu - No .Plo files

Kipp Martin kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
Mon Mar 22 23:52:06 EDT 2010

Hi Jonathon:

I build  OS on Ubuntu  all the time with no problems. Could you provide
more detail of exactly what you did? Are you working with stable, trunk,
release?

If, for example, trunk did you do the following:

1) Checkout

svn co https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/OS/trunk os-trunk

2.
cd os-trunk
cd ThirdParty/ASL
./get.ASL
cd ..
cd ThirdParty/Blas
./get.Blas
cd ..
cd ThirdParty/Lapack
./get.Lapack
cd ..
cd ThirdParty/Mumps
./get.Mumps
cd ../..
./configure

OS is one of the most complicated projects. You may wish to check out a
much  simpler project such as Clp first and see if it works. My guess is
that there is something more going on that just an OS problem.

As the user below reports, are you building on a Virtual Machine? If so
please try to avoid mapped directories. That can lead to problems.

Regards

> I am running a Ubuntu (9.10) box, and I am having similar troubles to
> those reported in Message: [BuildTools] Build problem with OS on Ubuntu
> (copied below).
>
> After calling ./configure, the following message is displayed, but no
> .Plo files are created.
>
>    config.status: executing depfiles commands
>
> I also executed config.status in the CoinUtils/src directory, but that
> does not create the .Plo files either.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has found a solution to this problem?
>
> Cheers,
> Jonathon
>

>  > Gus Gassmann schrieb:
>  >> I have a problem building OS under Ubuntu. It seems that during the
>  >> configure step none of the dependency files *.Plo are getting built.
> This
>  >> results in, for example, the error:
>  >>
>  >> make[1]: Entering directory `home/gassmann/OS-vpath/ThirdParty/HSL'
>  >> Makefile:389: .deps/dummy.Plo: No such file or directory.
>  >>
>  >> I don't understand this error. The only thing unusual about the
> setup is that I
>  >> run Ubuntu as a virtual machine under Microsoft Vista 64 and that
> the file
>  >> system that contains the source is shared and controlled by Vista. It is
>  >> available to Ubuntu in the /mnt hierarchy. (I did not set up the
> system myself
>  >> and don't know much more about it than that.)
>  >>
>  >> I used the following command in my vpath directory
>  >> (/home/gassmann/OS/vpath) to run configure:
>  >>
>  >> /mnt/hgfs/DataFiles/OS/configure
>  >>
>  >> Any idea what may be going wrong?
>  >>
>  >> Thanks
>  >>
>  >> gus gassmann
>  >> -------------------------------------------------------
>  >>
>  >> gus gassmann          (Horand.Gassmann at dal.ca <http://dal.ca>)
>  >>
>  >> School of Business Administration, Dalhousie University
>  >> 6100 University Avenue
>  >> Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada , B3H 3J5
>  >> ph. (902) 494-1844
>  >> fax (902) 494-1107
>  >>
>  >> http://myweb.dal.ca/gassmann/