[Symphony] [BuildTools] Help: error LNK1104

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Tue Oct 20 16:01:06 EDT 2015

Hi Paolo,

I'm cc'ing the SYMPHONY mailing list, since this may be more appropriate
for that list. I'll need some more information about how you're
getting/building SYMPHONY to be able to tell what's wrong. Please provide a
detailed description of the steps you followed in each case.

- In the first, case, can you say where you got the executable from? 5.1.8
is a very old version of SYMPHONY. Exactly how did you invoke it and in
what directory (relative to where the location of the solver executable and
the file sample.mps). In general, the error you're getting can be
interpreted fairly literally. SYMPHONY cannot find the file to open it.
That's usually because you didn't give the correct path to the file or you
didn't give a path and you are running SYMPHONY from a different directory
than the one in which the file is saved. In general, giving the full path
should always work, like so:

SYMPHONY: load C:\path\to\sample.mps

- In the second case, how did you build SYMPHONY? What version of the
source are you using? How did you obtain it (subversion checkout, git
checkout, tarball/zip file)? What version of Visual Studio are you using?
The error you are getting in that case is because SYMPHONY depends on a few
other libraries (one of which is CoinUtils, which seems to be missing).
However, the SYMPHONY solution file should also build CoinUtils
automatically so I need to know more about what you're doing to debug the
error.

In general, the easiest way to get the latest version of SYMPHONY on
Windows is to install the COIN-OR Optimization Suite, available here:

http://www.coin-or.org/download/binary/OptimizationSuite/COIN-OR-1.8.0-win32-msvc12.exe

One you install, there will be a shortcut to SYMPHONY in your start menu.
That will start the interactive solver. As above, then typing

SYMPHONY: load C:\path\to\sample.mps

should work.

Cheers,

Ted

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Paolo Da Pelo <paolodapelo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am testing SYMPHONY for the first time with Windows 7. I am trying to
> start the interactive optimizer (the version 5.1.8) with sample.mps but it
> gives me an error:
>
> Coin6001E Unable to open mps input file...
>
> I also tried to compile the MSVC++ SYMPHONY of the last version, but it
> gives me the error
>
> fatal error LNK1104: impossibile aprire il file 'libClp.lib'
>
> What should I do?
>
> Thank you very much for your help.

Dr. Ted Ralphs
Professor, Lehigh University