[Symphony] Problem compiling Symphony 5.5.0 / 5.5.1 - libOsiClp.lib cannot be opened

Christoph Picker christoph.picker at gmx.de
Thu Aug 8 10:10:31 EDT 2013

Dear Coin-OR community,

I'm having trouble compiling the Symphony source code and would
appreciate it a lot if you could give me some hinters in the right
direction.

What I want to do:
Compile Symphony as a stand-alone application to solve .mps-files. No
customization needed.

Software Setup:
Windows 7 (64 bit) & MS Visual C++ 2010 Express (32 bit)

Source codes:
Symphony 5.5.0. & 5.5.1. taken from
http://www.coin-or.org/download/source/SYMPHONY/

Comiling procedure & Problem encountered:
- Trying to follow instructions given here:
https://projects.coin-or.org/SYMPHONY/browser/releases/5.5.0/INSTALL
(line 254 onwards)
(Contrary to Install-file instructions, sym.mak is not included in the
package I downloaded --> outdated instructions? no problem since no need
for customization?)
- Opening ...\SYMPHONY\MSVisualStudio\v10\symphony.sln
- Specifying symphony as startup project
- Compiling...
- ... results in error "LINK : fatal error LNK1104: File "libOsiClp.lib"
cannot be opened" (German: "LINK : fatal error LNK1104: Datei
"libOsiClp.lib" kann nicht geöffnet werden.")
- However: Selecting project "libOsiClp" and compiling it seperately
does not prompt any errors / creates "libOsiClp.lib" successfully.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Do I have to change the build order?
It's currently (without me changing anything):
libOsi --> libCoinUtils --> libOsiClp --> libOsiCommonTest --> libClp
--> libCgl --> libOsiSym --> libSymohony --> symphony --> unitTest
Or do I have to compile other parts first and put them in a specific place?

Admittedly, I don't have a strong IT background - I'll be using
PureBasic to generate the .mps and hand them over to Symphony.
Any help on how to compile would be greatly appreciated. Alternatively
(if someone would be willing to do that & it's less work), binaries
would be a great help, too.

Thanks a lot & best regards from Germany,
Christoph Picker

PS: My e-mail address is christoph.picker at gmx.de