[Symphony] Symphony GMPL Files

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Sun Sep 23 22:11:04 EDT 2012

Hi Anton,

SYMPHONY can solve biobjective MILPs, but it's possible that the interface
to GLPK is not capable of dealing with multiple objectives. If nothing
else, you can set the second objective through the API once the problem is
read in. If you can provide some more details of exactly when the error
comes up and exactly what it says, I'll try to see if it's an easy fix.

Ted

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Anton Becker <antonbecker at me.com> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I now managed to read GMPL files.
>
> I now encountered another problem:
>
> 1. Start symphony, works
> 2. load problem, works only with single criteria problems! Why can I not
> read in a biobjective, linear model?! I thought this is a feature of
> SYMPHONY.
>
> Message is something like "Symphony can only read in single objective
> functions".
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Anton
>

> Am Sep 22, 2012 um 12:10 PM schrieb Anton Becker:
>
> > Dear everybody,
> >
> > I have a problem reading GMPL files with SYMPHONY under Ubuntu 12.04.
> >
> > 1. Installed Symphony via SVN - works.
> >
> > 2. Installed Glpk via get.Glpk - works.
> >
> > 3. ./configure --with-GMPL --with-glpk-lib --with-glpk-incdir
> --with-glpk-datadir - works.
> >
> > 4. make: Does not work. The compiler misses a file called amd.h. I found
> this file and copied it into the folder the compiler searched for it.
> (Something like Glp/src)
> >
> > After doing this he gave me another error, I don't remember exactly what
> file he was missing then but I worked around this error as well. This went
> on for hours.
> >
> > Did I do anything wrong? I always get new errors.
> >
> > In the manual there are just a few steps and it all looks very, very
> easy.
> >
> > Any idea? I think there is something wrong with my installation in the
> firs place, but I really did it step by step according to the manual.
> >
> > It's really important for me to get this working..
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Anton

Dr. Ted Ralphs
Associate Professor, Lehigh University