[Symphony] Symphony GMPL files error

Anton Becker antonbecker at me.com
Wed Sep 12 04:07:44 EDT 2012

Dear everybody,

I have a question about the solver you developed and I hope you can help me out.

System I'm using: Win7 Pro 64 with MS Visual Studio Pro 2010.

I am a very beginner to MSVC and I'm trying to run Symphony on it.

So, I downloaded Symphony Version 5.4.5 and ran the solution file, built it and it all worked fine. I loaded the sample.mps and solved it.

Now I wanted to read in the GMPL file and downloaded glpk Version 4.45. I unpacked it to Symphony\ThirdParty\glpk and renamed it glpk. (So by now I have a glpk folder in the glpk folder. (Thats what I understood from the manual)

 I ran the "Build_GLPK_with_VC10_DLL.bat" and this worked fine as well. After this I changed the following things in the Symphony project (the one I created by simply double clicking the Symphony solution file as described above) via the properties of "libSymphony" in MSVC according to the Symphony documentation.

1. I added the "...glpk\include" folder to "additional include folders".
2. I added the "…\glpk\w64" folder to "additional library folders".
3. I added USE_GLPMPL to the Preprocessors.

When ever I try to build the Symphony project after making these changes, the following error occurs: (I try to translate exactly):

libSymphony.lib(lp_solver.obj) : error LNK2019: Referral to a non solved Symol "glp_get_col_name@ in Function ""int __cdecl read_gmpl(struct MIPDESC *,char *,char *,char @)"

this goes in for about 21 other functions.

So, these are my questions:

1. Why does it fail to create the project after I add USE_GLPMPL to the preprocessors? Do I need to do anything else in order to be able to read gmpl files? As I am a very beginner even simple steps might need to be explained ;)

2. In general: Why is there a glpk folder in the Symphony folder in the first place, and what is the glpk I'm downloading? What does the available windows executable of glpk do?

3. What I want to do in the end is to solve a multi criteria, binary, linear program using Symphony. What else do I need to do in order to solve those multi criteria models?

4. Will a UNIX System make this a lot easier? What are those make files and do I use them in Windows as well?

I tried out everything for the last two days, but I am really stuck here.

Than you very much in advance,

best regards,

Anton