[Symphony] configuration & installation

an ngo ngothean1 at gmail.com
Sat May 28 04:34:36 EDT 2011

Hi there:
I have this problem when trying to install Symphony 5.3.3
my system is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

I download SYMPHONY-5.3.3.zip
unzip to the folder SYMPHONY-5.3.3
./configure --with-application
make
make install
make test
everything seems OK
However, when I go down to the applications
SYMPHONY-5.3.3/SYMPHONY/Applications/CNRP
this one I can build, seems OK

But then, in
SYMPHONY-5.3.3/SYMPHONY/Applications/MATCH
make gives this error
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lSymAppl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

So, I change Makefile (in MATCH) in the same way as in CNRP. It works. But
when I run
./match -F sample.mat
I got an error saying the data file cannot be read

It turns out that sym_parse_command_line doesn't call back the function
user_readparams

My guess is that USE_SYM_APPLICATION is not defined, despite my use of
./configuration --with-application

So, I change the code (back to what is in the manual, i.e. not relying on
sym_parse_command_line to get the file name.

It works, but again, the call back function user_display_solution is never
called.

This seems to confirm that USE_SYM_APPLICATION is not defined.

Then, I delete the old installation and restart from scratch. This time, I
try to make SYMPHONY  work with GLPK

./configure --with-glpk-incdir=/usr/local/include
--with-glpk-lib="-L/usr/local/lib -lglpk"
make
make install

Again, everything seems OK, but then I realize later that USE_GLPMPL is not
defined (same problem). So, I still can read GMPL file

Any help is very appreciated.
Thanks a lot
A.

Thank you very much