[Symphony] SYMPHONY vs COIN/BCP

Terry maillst at aol.com
Thu Jun 16 03:15:29 EDT 2011

I read a little about COIN/BCP in reading about SYMPHONY. I'm trying to decide why I would use one or the other. I understand they are very similar, SYMPHONY is C and easier for beginners (that's me), and BCP is C++ (that's fine). But, that's about all I know.

How does the performance compare? I know it's hard to say because of the nature of all solvers. Where do you think BCP would fall on this chart with SYMPHONY:
http://scip.zib.de/
Or, in these stats:
http://plato.asu.edu/ftp/milpf.html

I read somewhere that COIN/BCP and SYMPHONY are being combined in a new solver under development. Is that still being worked on? Does it have a name?

Thanks.
Terry