[Coin-symphony] Compile errors using SYMHONY with MSVC++ 2005

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Fri Mar 10 16:02:55 EST 2006

Esben Kolind wrote:
> Thank you for the replies.
>
> I believe all settings in MSVC++ are default, and nothing has been
> changed in the SYMPHONY project files (other than a few path
> definitions)
>
> The compiler flag "Compile as C++ Code" (/TP) was already set in the all
> the SYMPHONY project files, so I don't think that's what causes the
> problem.
>
> If we can't make SYMPHONY work with Windows, we've considered using
> COIN-BCP instead... but that doesn't seem to be working with Windows at
> all. Is that correct? Most of COIN seems to be written for UNIX/LINUX
> only, so maybe we should switch to a UNIX system from the beginning
> anyway? As we are familiar with programming in Visual Studio, we'd
> prefer to use a windows environment, but Eclipse (or other debuggers)
> might be an alternative? Experiences and suggestions are welcome.

It's strange that you can't get SYMPHONY to compile in MSVC++, but I
don't know what else to suggest except to try Google :).

I have built SYMPHONY successfully in Eclipse using the g++ compiler
included in either the CYGWIN or MinGW distributions. You do have to be
careful with path names, though. Some of the paths get set in the
Makefiles by checking the value of the environment variable PWD, which
may not be set properly when calling from a DOS command-line. If you
change all COINROOT and SYMPHONYROOT to absolute Posix pathnames, then I
think it should work out of the box. If not, please feel free to post
more questions.

Cheers,

Ted
--