[Coin-symphony] Error in a header file and Help in embedding a "lp_solver" package.

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Tue Dec 12 14:51:07 EST 2006

The header file you refer to is part of the COIN build tools project,
not part of SYMPHONY. The change you made will probably work fine on
most architectures, but just because it compiled does mean the generated
code will be correct. At any rate, to report this incompatibility,
please file a trouble ticket with the COIN BuildTools project:

https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools/newticket

A safer route, however, is to upgrade to MSVC++ Version 8. The Visual
Studio Express Edition is free and will compile SYMPHONY 5.1.1 without
any problems.

As for your second question, I assume you are talking about the free
solver called "lp_solve." I'm not sure what you mean by "embedding this
package," but in any case, I think the answer is "no." In order to use a
given third-party LP solver to solve the LP relaxations arising within
the branch and cut algorithm of SYMPHONY (if this is what you had in
mind), the solver must have an Osi interface and I do not think lp_solve
has such an interface. See

https://projects.coin-or.org/Osi

To use CPLEX in the MSVC++ environment, you need to do the following:

1. Change the preprocessor definition __OSI_CLP__ to __OSI_CPLEX__

2. Make sure the CPLEX header file is in the workspace include path, and

3. Make sure the CPLEX library is listed as an external library dependency.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ted

--