[Coin-symphony] Several Symphony questions

Eligijus Kubilinskas eligijus.kubilinskas at telecom.lth.se
Thu Mar 10 03:53:09 EST 2005

Hello,

I have just started to work with Symphony and I have some questions. I
use Symphony 5 under Fedora Core 3 Linux and I am trying to implement a
mip solver using the callable library approach.

1. Inspired by the Matching walkthrough by Michael Trick, I am trying to
implement a Knapsack solver. The problem is that I cannot get Symphony
to maximize (of course -min can be used, but it's ugly). Probably the
variable obj_sense should be altered, but I don't know how. How should
this be done?

2. Does Symphony use generic cuts by default? In that case, what type of
cuts? Gomory cuts? Lift-and-Project cuts ala Balas (for 0-1 problems)?
Can user "turn of" these cuts so that only pure branch-and-bound is used?

3. How do I control when and where user-defined cuts/Symphony's cuts are
invoked?

Thank you in advance for the answers.

best regards,

Eligijus