[Coin-symphony] How to get quickly a solution ?

Renaud Lepere renaud.lepere at alma.fr
Tue Mar 8 06:21:49 EST 2005

Hello,

 I plan to use Symphony for solving some simple MIP problems
(such as knapsack), i tried also matching problems. I would
like to find quickly a good feasible solution but i don't
care about optimality.

I get symphony from cvs and i succeded to build a problem
using sym_explicit_load_problem and solve it using sym_solved.
I would like to bound the computation time, so i tried to use
"time_limit", but sometimes it is really longer than the limit
(apparently the first call to fathom_branch is long) and if i
add verbosity settings i see that the first feasible solution is
long/hard to find.

Given a solution of the LP, i can round variables to get a feasible
solution. How can i tell this to symphony ? Should i use a
call-back ?

I hope you can help me.

Thanks,

Renaud