[Coin-symphony] Symphony 5 with mpi and static compilation

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Tue Jul 5 10:05:58 EDT 2005

Alexandre Le Bouthillier wrote:

> 2 beginners questions:
>
> 1) In the doc, it says it should be easy to use mpi instead of pvm.  How easy,
> any tips, any planned release to support mpi ?

It should not be too difficult---the communication calls are wrapped and
the PVM dependence is encapsulated in a single file,
SYMPHONY/Common/proccom.c, that would have to be reimplemented. I do
plan to do this, but I'm not sure when I will get around to it. It might
be a while :).

> 2) When running an Application (for example the vrp one), it needs many shared
> library, where in the Makefile of Symphony and the Makefile of the VRP
> application do I tell to link with -static to get an application that is not
> dependent of these shared library (for example, to submit to a pbs system for
> which I'm not root)
>
> (ldd vrp needs libsym_app.so, libCoin.so, libOsi.so, libOsiClp.so, libClp.so,
> libCgl.so that I would like to have included)

If you need a static executable, adding -static to the command line
should work with gcc, but there is no variable to do this in the current
Makefile. You would have to add it by hand in the appropriate places. I
should be able to add this capability to the Makefile fairly easily if
you feel like downloading the very latest SYMPHONY from COIN
(instructions are on the Web page). Alternatively, you could change the
library type to static and recompile all of the COIN libraries and
SYMPHONY. The Makefile in the currently posted version of SYMPHONY
supports automatic compilation of COIN, but not with static libraries.
Again, I could add this if it is useful. Please let me know if you have
any questions.

Thanks for your support!

Cheers,

Ted