[Coin-symphony] now my code is being called, but

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Thu Feb 24 18:46:34 EST 2005

Mike,

I guess there wasn't really a question in your last post, but you've got
me thoroughly mystified, so let me ask a few questions.

First, why is it that you need to use your own makefile? Do you just
want to have control and don't want to compile your code using a black
box? I can't see anything you're doing that wouldn't be easy accomplish
using SYMPHONY's build system, where all the compiler defines are set
automatically for you. You should have no problems at all if you just
copy the makefile in the USER directory and customize it. We are
actually in the midst of revamping SYMPHONY's build system to make it
easier to work with. If you get the latest version from CVS, the
makefiles have some added flexibility. In particular, you can specify a
build directory outside the source tree.

Second, I'm not sure why you need all those compiler defines in the
first place. None of them are required for the user callback functions.
If you grep on "ifdef" in SYMPHONY/Applications/USER/src/*/*.c, you will
find that there are actually no compiler directives that have any
effect. Compiling your code and linking it with no compiler defines
should work unless you are trying to build parts of SYMPHONY itself.
What am I missing?

As for documentation, maintaining SYMPHONY and all its documentation at
the level it's at is a huge amount of work. I simply don't have the
funding or manpower to do more, especially to document the interior
parts of the library and build system. If you would just stop trying to
do things you're not supposed to do, you wouldn't be having these
problems :). At any rate, documentation is always an issue. I'd be happy
to have help if you want to contribute some of your recent insights in
the form of additional or updates to the current documentation. Thanks
for your feedback. Let me know if you have any more questions or problems.

Cheers,

Ted
--
Dr. Ted Ralphs