[RBFOpt] Problem with 20d rosenbrock function

Sattler, Dr. Andreas Andreas.Sattler at siltronic.com
Tue Nov 20 11:04:23 EST 2018

Hi Giacomo,

thank you for getting back to me.

I have attached the log-file together with a file which I am writing out myself (adding one line for each function call) with iteration number, variable values and objective function value.

In addition I have plotted the objective function over the variables: As you can see the optimizer is in the phase where it needs to shift all variables towards “1”. It has only done that for v1, v2 and v3 so far. The residual will stay high until this has happened for all variables (at least this is what happens with other optimizers). So this behavior is in principle OK, but progress is pretty slow because parallelization is kind of lost and it looks like many function evaluations will be necessary to reach the optimum.

Also it looks like the global evaluations are kind of wasteful here because they don’t seem to contribute to the progress of the optimizer at this stage. The values around 15 are all “refinement” evaluations.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D480F3.14969C50]

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D480F3.14969C50]

and so on.

BTW, the calculation has been running for 18h now.

Best regards,

Andreas