[Project-managers] [Coin-slb] Google Summer of Code

Horand Gassmann Horand.Gassmann at Dal.Ca
Fri Jan 19 11:08:22 EST 2018

Did any of the ideas from last year get developed, even partially? I am most interested in the modeling languages and modeling interfaces from last year's list

COIN-OR and MATLAB Interface. Create an interface similar in spirit to the proposed "Spreadsheet add-in to COIN-OR solvers" project, but between COIN-solvers and MATLAB ​using mex. Use ​OSMatlab.cpp which currently supports linear, integer, and quadratic programs. Extend to nonlinear.

Start work on an open-source modeling language. This could go in several directions. One possibility is to extend the current project, FlopC++ see ​http://projects.coin-or.org/FlopC++ in two ways. First extend the project to support nonlinear programming. Second, extend the project to write the instance in OSiL format see​http://www.coin-or.org/OS/documentation/node31.html so it easy to link the problem instance with both linear and nonlinear solvers. Another, more difficult directions, is to develop an algebraic modeling language from scratch.

"CMPL", COIN-OR Mathematical Programming Language. AMPL and GNU Mathprog can be used with the COIN-OR solvers. For AMPL the AMPL library is used to read in .nl files produced by the proprietary AMPL binary; for GNU Mathprog, the user has to compile a solver binary including the GLPK library which is licensed under the GNU GPL. This is unsatisfactory in the long term for two reasons, first, the GNU GPL is incompatible with the CPL and hence there can never be official binaries distributed by COIN-OR which include support for GNU MathProg. Second, while COIN OR has a large number of high quality solvers, a high level modelling layer is missing. This project would provide a sensible starting point, either interfacing to COIN Osi or to COIN OS. Interfacing to the latter would allow extension to nonlinear problems later on. Reimplementing the technically well-documented GNU MathProg language for COIN would provide a great first step.

To me the last two are basically the same thing, and there are lots of synergies with the first one. I would be interested in helping out on any of them, as one of the mentors.

Horand I. Gassmann, Professor

Kenneth C. Rowe School of Business, Dalhousie University
6100 University Avenue, PO Box 15000
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3H 4R2
ph. (902) 494-1844
fax (902) 494-1107