[Project-managers] Git and github

Tobias Achterberg achterberg at zib.de
Tue May 13 14:43:48 EDT 2014

Just my 2 cents:

In my view, git is very much superior to svn, mostly because of its ability to
work with branches and to do offline development. This is particularly true for
projects that have multiple developers. Yes, it is different and switching from
svn to git will cost you two or three weeks of rewiring your brain, but it is
definitely worth it.

Using svn-git mirroring will most likely severely cripple many of the git
benefits. There is (as far as I know) just no way of mapping git branch/merge
histories to svn, and one would always need to rebase (i.e., linearize) the git
history before one can apply it to svn. Pretty painful.

So, my suggestion would be to switch completely to git. We did this a few years
ago with CPLEX and everybody there feels that this was a very good move as it
dramatically improved the way code development and version control is used.
After I joined Gurobi, switching from svn to git was basically the first thing
that we did, and again people start to like it. In both cases switching and
learning to master git was not that painful.

But if you want to keep svn for whatever reason, I guess you should then stay
with it and not try to get into the git world on some crippled mirroring path.

Cheers,

Tobias