[Project-managers] Git and github

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Tue May 13 10:51:22 EDT 2014

Dear project managers,

Recently, there have been a number of requests to support git an an
alternative to subversion and, in particular, to allow projects to be
hosted and managed on github. As such, I have established a github
organization for COIN-OR

https://github.com/coin-or

and we are currently hosting a few projects there as a test. We have been
discussing this on the TLC and the board and our current thought is that
all projects would continue to have a presence on TRAC and would probably
have their repos mirrored onto COIN (this is easy with git). We now have
the capability of hosting projects with git on the COIN server using TRAC,
i.e., you can add a git repo and browse the source just as you can with
subversion.

For a number of reasons, it would probably be good for COIN to have a
bigger presence on github---this is the current GOTO host for open source
projects these days and it has a lot of nice features. However, I realize
not everyone wants to switch to git. We are considering setting up two-way
mirroring between subversion and git using a package called subgit that
seems to do a pretty good job of this. There are some interesting
challenges in doing the mapping---philosphically, git and subversion are
very different--but it does a pretty good job of it.

So, the questions are:

1. How many of you would be interested in switching to managing your
project with git if you had the chance?

2. Would you object to the mirroring of your project to github for any
reason?

I'd appreciate your feedback when you get the chance. It will be difficult
to make this work without support from project managers.

Cheers,

Ted
--
Dr. Ted Ralphs