[Project-managers] BSP 2009 and changes to project management procedures

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Fri Jul 3 12:07:00 EDT 2009

Folks,

	I share John's concerns here, and mine extend beyond Osi.  Past history
says that improvements often require simultaneous changes to multiple projects.
Our current procedure provides a lot of implicit testing and communication
through trunk development.  It also brings moments of acute pain as we
synchronise releases to work through a new release cycle.  No news here, I've
written this before.

	I can also see the need for RPM packaging for standard linux distros,
and I can see how difficult this is in the present tightly-coupled system.  A
policy that one project depends only on releases of other projects will really
help here.

	I have lots of reservations.  But mostly, I'm assuming that the
technical pros and cons have been debated into the ground by the TLC and the
conclusion is that, on balance, we'll be farther ahead with this change.  No way
forward but to give it a try.

							Lou