[Project-managers] OSI trunk -> stable, Friday June 8th

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Thu May 31 14:40:04 EDT 2007

Stefan,

	To address a couple of the points that you raise:  For a good while, for
historical reasons, the main development branch for a number of projects has
been branches/devel, not trunk.  We're trying to get this under control, folding
/branches/devel into trunk, with the goal of moving a lot of pent-up change into
the stable branch, and ultimately to a release.

	We have a fair bit of confidence that the code we're pushing out to
trunk (and then to stable) does indeed work.  The developers have been living in
it, and we put a fair bit of stress on it on a regular basis. There are quite a
few bug fixes and new features that really do need to get out. Osi/trunk points
to branches/devel for Clp and Cbc because that's where the compatible code is
for those projects.

	There will almost certainly be the occasional glitch. For example, I
did quite a bit of cross-platform testing of the Osi build before the
changeover, but I don't use MSVisualStudio when I do test builds on Windows, and
that one slipped by.

	We've certainly not fixed everything on the OSI ticket sheet.  Nor is
that ever likely to be the case.  For OsiGlpk, specifically, there's been some
long-term neglect.  I've been working on it recently because I want it as a test
solver for cbc-generic.  I hope to clear some of the tickets `real soon now',
and I may well be back to you to see if you have other changes. Sending out
the proposal to change on June 8th got me an email saying that there's an
updated version of OsiCpx waiting in the wings.

	Right now I just want to make sure we don't stall without getting all
this change moved through to stable.

							Lou