[Project-managers] New draft project management guidelines

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Thu Feb 15 15:46:52 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

A draft update of the project management guidelines that Francois was
kind enough to assemble has now been posted for review on the agenda
page for the next TLC meeting

https://projects.coin-or.org/CoinTLC/wiki/MeetingNotes022707

The meeting and discussion of this draft will take place on February 27
at 1:00 PM EST. I know you are all shocked that we have something
prepared ahead of time, but every now and then, we do get our act
together :). The updates consist mainly of a more explicit inclusion of
the previously approved classification scheme for projects, which
removes most project management requirements in favor of a
classification system that indicates the maturity of each project and
whether it is actively managed. These changes reduce the requirements on
project managers to a bare minimum, but provide positive reinforcement
for doing more than what is required. We hope that this will better
clarify what is expected, while reducing the burden on project managers.
Please let us know if you have any feedback on this in advance of the
meeting on February 27 or just show up and say your piece at the meeting.

Just to be clear, I would like to avoid discussion of any legal issues
at the TLC meeting, as these issues are currently being dealt with by
the SLB and beyond the scope of the TLC's charge. Legal language in this
draft is merely our interpretation of the SLB's currently posted policy
document and is not meant to be any sort of official position. Our
official position is that we have no position :). Thanks for your support!

Cheers,

Ted
--
Dr. Ted Ralphs