[Project-managers] editing external codes

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Sun Apr 8 19:54:29 EDT 2007

You're right, legal issues do serve as an impediment, but it's not
foundation policy that created the situation and there isn't much we can
do about it. We could ignore it, since no one is going to sue the
foundation anyway (we don't have any money). However, this would be
irresponsible, since the result might be law suits against users,
especially companies who are supporting our efforts, like IBM. In the
end, we have to pay attention to this stuff if we want to grow and
continue to be supported by those with deep pockets.

The current situation is a product of legal doctrine, which requires
owners of IP to aggressively pursue infringement claims, and the
pervasive use of the GPL by people who may or may not understand the
consequences of the use of this license. It is a matter of opinion
whether the supposed incompatibility of many licenses with the GPL is
real or whether the terms of the GPL would be held up as legal in court
(personally, I think not). But there is no denying it creates
difficulties for mixing and matching codes released under different
licenses. There is also a general lack of knowledge about all of this
stuff among people releasing open source software, which compounds the
problem.

With all that said, I'm not sure all of this "defeats the purpose" of
COIN-OR. Certainly, the situation is better and there is less
re-invention of the wheel with COIN-OR than there was before. We are
slowly, but surely building a library of components that can be used
together freely. I think it's amazing what can be done quickly now that
wouldn't have even been possible five years ago. Sophisticated packages
like Bonmin are being built relatively quickly to the betterment of all
users.

If you don't want to put up with the hassles and are willing to take the
risk, you can always distribute things yourself, but it is unlikely many
people will use it in this case, since there is no assurance that the
code is being distributed legally. The advantage of a foundation like
COIN is that it can provide some assurances that the pedigree of the
codes associated with the project has been checked out and is OK. This
results in more users with the resources to support further development.
This is how projects like Eclipse and Apache have gained so much
momentum and have so many resources. Without paying attention to this
stuff, we'll never get there.

Cheers,

Ted

--