[Project-managers] Action Needed: Creating stable versions

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Tue Sep 12 20:27:15 EDT 2006

Hi all,

No major complaints were lodged against the TLC's proposed version and
release procedure during the comment period, so we decided at today's
TLC meeting to move ahead with the implementation phase. We are
therefore asking for your help.

Sometime in the next few weeks (the exact schedule is yet to be
determined), we would like all COIN-OR projects to create a stable
release, in accordance with the adopted policy. For the initial release,
this can be done by the project manager (with the help of documentation
we are going to create over the next week or so), or by a member of the
TLC (Andreas). The former option is strongly recommended, since we will
be expecting project managers to do their own maintenance. In cases
where the project manager is not able to get up to speed on subversion
in time, however, we will do the reorganization and create the first
stable release from whatever is in "trunk" at the time.

ACTION NEEDED FROM EVERY PM:

By COB September 18, please send an e-mail to andreasw at watson.ibm.com
specifying

1. What will be the two-digit release number of your first stable
version (as a benchmark, version 1.0 would indicate that your project is
full-featured, mature, and documented).

2. Would you like to do the reorganization and creation of the release
yourself (with plenty of advice from us) or would you like us to do it
for you?

Thanks again for bearing with us as we continue to ramp up to becoming
full-service!

Cheers,

Ted
--