[Project-managers] Re: [Coin-discuss] New --enable-doscompile configuration flag, and link fix for Cygwin

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Wed Oct 18 16:05:16 EDT 2006

This is when it gets fun :). I think it's fine that you committed the
changes to stable/0.5, but you should have created a release 0.5.2 as
well :). Then the cascading effect is that everyone else has to create
new releases of their projects, changing the Externals to your new point
release in order to fix this bug.

Cheers,

Ted

P.S. I switched this thread to the PM list so as not to confuse the masses.

Andreas Waechter wrote:
>> The changes are in BuildTools/stable/0.5, and I already adapted the
>> stable/1.0 version of the Data projects and CoinUtils.
>>
>> The other COIN projects need to still be updated in order to have this
>> change.  If you are a project manager, I suggest that you make sure
>> that you get the 'stable' branch of the dependencies in your stable
>> version as externals, in particular BuildTools/stable/0.5.  Then you
>> need to rerun the autotools.  Before you actually commit something to
>> your stable branch, make sure that the dependencies already have the
>> corrected configure scripts.
>
> I guess I commited a sin here...  I probably should have cranked up the
> minor version number, since there are incompatibilities...?
>

>> As a related issue, you might want to have a look at the wiki
>> instructions on BuildTools:
>>
>> https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools
>>
>> I tried to make it a bit easier to find information by using the Table
>> Of Content macro for Trac (thanks Matt for installing it!).  I also
>> updated the information to aline with our new COIN release policy.  I
>> highly recommend to project managers to have a look at
>>
>> https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools/wiki/pm-svn-externals#PreparingExternalsForAPointRelease
>>

>> which has a checklist for the creation of a new point release.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Andreas
>>
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Lou Hafer wrote:
>>
>>> Ted, Andreas,
>>>
>>>     Thanks for the quick replies.
>>>
>>>     Andreas, you may remember that I was ranting about symlinks back
>>> at the
>>> DIMACS workshop.  The autoconf test (AC_PROG_LN_S) that checks
>>> whether symbolic
>>> links will work is fundamentally flawed for this cygwin/minGW
>>> environment.
>>> Partly, it's been hijacked by some project called DJGPP.  You can
>>> grep for DJGPP
>>> in the configure script to see what's actually done --- this is why
>>> conf$$.exe
>>> appears in the test; apparently a `helpful feature' of DJGPP is to
>>> conclude that
>>> anything without an extension is executable.  Partly, configure runs
>>> the test in
>>> the cygwin environment, where symlinks work, but the executable will
>>> run in
>>> minGW, where they don't.  A working test for our situation would require
>>> actually compiling and running a test program to see if it could read
>>> a file
>>> through a symbolic link.
>>>
>>>     A good quick fix would be to avoid symlinks in the cygwin
>>> environment.
>>>
>>>     I will see if I can make some time to poke a bit more at the
>>> problems
>>> for gzip'd file i/o. I don't see why input should work for the first