[Project-managers] Please read: Big changes on June 9

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Fri Jun 2 19:39:30 EDT 2006

Hello, Project-Managers!

Please read this message carefully, since in a week from today (next
Friday), action will be taken that might affect the way you work with your
project.

As Ted has already indicated in his message last week, we (the TLC) are in
the process of

- moving the COIN repository from CVS to subversion
- using a new build system based on the GNU autotools
- moving all project home pages to the Trac system

*** On June 9 (Friday next week) we want to officially switch a number of
     projects to subversion and freeze the CVS repository. ***

Before noon that day, we will freeze the CVS repository for the following
projects, and make sure that the CVS versions of the codes from that day
are available in the subversion repository.  When the switch is completed,
you will have to use the subversion repository to make changes to your
code.

The projects that are currently on CVS and will be switched to subversion
are:

- Cbc
- Cgl
- Clp
- CoinUtils (formerly just "Coin")
- Dfo
- NLPAPI
- multifario
- Osi
- Ots
- Smi
- Vol

You can find information about the usage of subversion at

https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools/wiki/pm-svn

*** Switch to the new build system ***

At the same time (so that there is only one major interruption), we will
also change to a new build system, which uses the GNU autotools, for a
number of projects.  This mainly concerns projects that have used the
previous Makefile system, but we would like to convert other projects as
well in the end.

About three weeks ago, we have taken a snapshot of a number of projects
and converted the build system already.  The projects, for which we have
done this conversions are:

- Cbc
- Cgl
- Clp
- CoinUtils
- DyLP (which is already hosted on subversion)
- Osi
- Smi
- Vol

On the Trac pages for the BuildTools COIN project, we describe now the new
system works, and give instructions on how to use it.  Please have a look
at it at

https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools/

You can see how the new build systems looks like by checking out one of
the projects above from the subversion repository.  For this, you follow
the instructions given on the above BuildTools web page.

Note that the code you get from the subversion repository is three weeks
old.  On June 9, we will copy all missing changes over from CVS to the
subversion repository.

The following projects previously used the COIN Makefile system and have
not yet been converted, but this will happen within the next few
weeks/months.  In the mean time, they will still be available from the CVS
repository, so that they can use the previous build system:

- Alps
- Bcp
- SYMPHONY

Projects that have not been listed in this section have not previously
used the COIN Makefile system.  However, for conformity and to make it
easier to users to work with COIN code, it would be great if also those
systems would use our COIN variant of the autotools.  If you manage such a
project, you will probably be contacted by a member of the TLC, to discuss
if you agree with this, and to discuss how the transformation can be done.

*** Using the Trac system ***

Home pages for projects will now be hosted using the Trac system.  Ted has
already given you a description of this in his previous message.  For each
COIN project, there already exists a Trac home page, but they are not yet
officially announced.  You get to it by using the URL

https://projects.coin-or.org/ProjectName

where you replace ProjectName by the name of the project.

Please have a look at the Trac pages for your project, and make sure it is
up to date.  If you cannot spend much time on this now, please try to at
least have a basic description of your project there, possibly with links
to download descriptions (such as those at
https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools)

***                Your ToDo list  :)                     ***

To make the transition go over smoothly, please try to do the following
things within the coming week:

- If you manage a project that is currently on CVS and will be moved to
   subversion next week, please try to have a look at the description of
   subversion:

   https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools/wiki/pm-svn

- If you manage a project, that has been converted to use the new
   build system, please try if you can compile and run your code, when you
   get the transformed version from the subversion repository.

   Also, if you find the time, you might want to see if you understand our
   Autotools usage instructions at

   https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools/

- Please check that your project's Trac page is in a state that doesn't
   make you feel embarrassed, when it is announced to the world ;)

We know that we are asking quite a bit from you at the moment, and we
appreciate your cooperation!!!

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the TLC, or reply to
the project-manager mailing list.

Thank you very much for reading your way through this long message!

Have a good weekend,

Andreas