[Project-managers] Mind your Trac pages

Brady Hunsaker hunsaker at engr.pitt.edu
Fri Apr 14 10:56:42 EDT 2006

Note that the main content of projects.html is generated automatically
from a Perl script and a spreadsheet.  The system still needs some work,
but it is usable and better than trying to keep up with changes by hand
while also keeping things consistent.

For anyone who plans to edit the main content of the page, please edit
the projects.csv spreadsheet, then run project_list.pl.  This creates
the main content in a file (currently called project_page.tmp).  This
needs to inserted into the projects.html file.  One final step that
should be done by hand is editing and possibly rearranging the headings
and subheadings for the categorical listing.  This is one area where the
script could be improved.

I have not checked on the projects page recently, so there are probably
some things that are out of date.  If you know of specific things, you
can email me and I'll make an update of the page.  In particular, if a
number of Trac pages have been created, then we can add them all to
spreadsheet at once.

Brady

Robin Lougee-Heimer wrote:

> How does the world locating the Trac pages?  There's no direct links to
> them on the project page, http://www.coin-or.org/projects.html.
>
> Is the site design for each project to have it's own webpage, and a
> pointer to the project's Trac page to be posted there?
>
> thanks,
> Robin

> Robin Lougee-Heimer
> IBM TJ Watson Research Center
> 1101 Kitchawan Road, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
> ph: 914-945-3032   fax: 914-945-3434
> robinlh at us.ibm.com
> http://www.coin-or.org
>

> *Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu>*
> Sent by: project-managers-bounces at list.coin-or.org
>
> 04/14/2006 08:46 AM

> 	project-managers at list.coin-or.org
> cc
>
> Subject
> 	[Project-managers] Mind your Trac pages
>

> If your project has a Trac page (every project in Subversion does, and
> most that don't already will shortly), it would be a good idea to check in
> on it every so often to make sure the content is OK.  Remember that Wikis
> are open to editing by anybody so there is no sure-fire protection against
> nefarious content modification.  Unlike tickets, Wiki pages in Trac have
> no way to notify you when pages are modified.
>
> We've had a couple of incidents of bots replacing our Trac home pages with
> spam.  If your page has serious problems with these automated attacks, we
> can put measures in place that can slow them down, but it would still be
> possible for human indivduals to edit the pages.  We are an open
> community, so I think that closing Wiki pages to all editing by community
> members should be a last resort.
>
> Thanks for your diligence.
>
> --
>                                   Matthew Saltzman