[Project-managers] Mind your Trac pages

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Apr 14 08:46:05 EDT 2006

If your project has a Trac page (every project in Subversion does, and
most that don't already will shortly), it would be a good idea to check in
on it every so often to make sure the content is OK.  Remember that Wikis
are open to editing by anybody so there is no sure-fire protection against
nefarious content modification.  Unlike tickets, Wiki pages in Trac have
no way to notify you when pages are modified.

We've had a couple of incidents of bots replacing our Trac home pages with
spam.  If your page has serious problems with these automated attacks, we
can put measures in place that can slow them down, but it would still be
possible for human indivduals to edit the pages.  We are an open
community, so I think that closing Wiki pages to all editing by community
members should be a last resort.

Thanks for your diligence.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman