[Osi] Question re. meaning of OsiSimplex::getReducedGradient

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Fri Sep 3 22:05:00 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 14:29 -0400, Ted Ralphs wrote:
> Well, I think that "reduced gradient" is mixing two different
> terminologies. It seems to me that "reduced" really only make sense as
> a modifier to "cost." The reduced cost (as I usually define) _is_ a
> (sub)gradient of the value function of the linear program (with the
> variable bounds considered to be parametric). I'm not sure what a
> "reduced gradient" would be. It should really be just a "subgradient,"
> technically speaking.

Actually, it's standard terminology from NLP.  It's a mapping of the
gradient onto the the nullspace of the structural constraints.
Projection is one way to do it.  Another is to solve Ax = b for a set of
basic variables, then compute the gradient in the "reduced space" of
nonbasic variables by substituting out the basic variables in the
objective function.