[Osi] Question re. meaning of OsiSimplex::getReducedGradient

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Fri Sep 3 14:29:55 EDT 2010

Well, I think that "reduced gradient" is mixing two different
terminologies. It seems to me that "reduced" really only make sense as
a modifier to "cost." The reduced cost (as I usually define) _is_ a
(sub)gradient of the value function of the linear program (with the
variable bounds considered to be parametric). I'm not sure what a
"reduced gradient" would be. It should really be just a "subgradient,"
technically speaking.

Generally, I agree with Matt, though. The way the reduced cost is
defined in most LP textbooks, it's precisely the gradient. I think it
would be confusing and not terribly useful to define it otherwise.
It's easy enough to take absolute value if you need to.

Cheers,

Ted