[Osi] About packaging OSI

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Tue Jun 15 17:08:45 EDT 2010

Christophe,

> [ ... long and entirely sensible post on why Osi should have better
>   packaging and should load solvers dynamically, with ideas of how to
>   do it ... ]

	Yes! We have this dream too. We just haven't quite gotten there yet.
Mostly for lack of bandwidth. If you're interested in helping, we'd love to
have the help.

	Here's where we're at right now:

  * There's an ongoing effort to repackage Coin software into bundles that are
    more conducive to RPM-style packaging. Right now, the svn trunks for
    BuildTools, BuildTools/ThirdParty, BuildTools/Data, and CoinUtils, Osi,
    Clp, DyLP, and Cbc, are converted to this new organisation. Most obvious
    changes are that OsiXXX code is moved to project XXX, and pkg-config is
    used to locate projects.

  * There's a parallel effort to actually do RPM-style packaging; Leo Lopes is
    probably the most knowledgeable person in that regard.

  * High on the agenda for Osi is the ability to dynamically load/unload
    solvers. Complicated by the fact that we need to work out something that
    will work over a number of platforms (Linux, Solaris, Windows, others).
    But any start would be useful.

	I've attached three scripts that you might find useful. getSplit will
checkout or update the code referred to above. getThirdParty will run the
scripts that pull down ThirdParty code. configSplit will do configuration,
build, and install. Some tweaking will probably be required to fit your
environment.

						Lou