[OS] multiple solutions

Horand Gassmann Horand.Gassmann at Dal.Ca
Mon Nov 5 14:35:17 EST 2012

Mike Steglich <mike.steglich at berlin.de> wrote:

> Is it possible to write the incumbents found during an MIP
> optimization into a OSrL file?

Yes. :-)

There are several routes you might want to take. First, you can put
multiple <solution> elements into the file. Each solution must have a
status; you could use "bestSoFar" for the incumbent solutions.

Alternatively you might want to look at <other> elements that somehow
code the incumbent solution appropriately. You'd need to choose your
own name for the <other> elements, and I am not sure off-hand how you
could capture the objective value in the same element. (But you could
always compute that on the fly if needed.)

Or you can simply print out the incumbents in the solver, and capture
the solver output in the <job> option. Our OSrL parser can put any of
those versions into an in-memory OSResult object, although the
interpretation of what the different things mean would be up to you
--- at least at this point. Our current repository has an osol file,
serverOutputCapture.osol, and an osrl file, serverOutputCapture.osrl,
to illustrate.

Hope that helps.

gus