[Os-project-managers] Updates to OSoL schema

Horand Gassmann Horand.Gassmann at Dal.Ca
Wed Aug 8 15:14:25 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

we did not get to talk at today's meeting about the stuff below. I
think I'd like to implement it, since this part is easy, but I need to
know if you are OK with it, especially the numbering of print levels.

> I think it is mandatory that the user be able to
> 1. Set a global print level for messages to stdout
> 2. Set a file name to which to send (possibly different) output
> 3. Set a global print level for messages to that file
>
> In addition it would be nice (for debugging purposes) to be able to
> control *one* area in which the global print level is overridden. At
> this point, though, I no longer consider this essential.
>
> I think we can achieve all of these things with just three command
> line options:
>
> printLevel <int>   to control the print level of stdout
> outputFile <name>  to set the name of a file for (possibly different) output
> filePrintLevel <int> to set the global print level for the secondary
> (file) channel
>
> The point is that a lot of sins can be hidden in a print level. We
> will have, I'd say, about 10 print levels max, with perhaps more
> than one level for debug output. Let's be generous and double this
> to 20. And we will have, I don't know, 10 areas. So the print level
> scheme could be this:
>
> default print level 1
> if printLevel < 100, global print level (for all areas)
> otherwise printLevel  div 100 gives the number of an area (we need
> to use enumerations for these things, anyway), and printLevel mod
> 100 gives the print level in that area. (Same for filePrintLevel.)
>
> So
>
> filePrintLevel 3
>
> says: use global print level 3 in all areas;
>
> filePrintLevel 512
>
> says: use the default print level in all areas, but use print level
> 12 in area 5, etc.
>
> Comments? Do you think this can work? Is it too baroque? Overkill?
> What do you say?

Cheers

gus

Horand I. Gassmann, Professor

School of Business Administration, Dalhousie University
6100 University Avenue, PO Box 15000
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3H 4R2
ph. (902) 494-1844
fax (902) 494-1107