[Os-project-managers] printModel

R. Kipp Martin kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
Sun Oct 9 23:52:11 EDT 2011

Hi Guys:

> 1. There will be four different commands:
>
> printModel
> printRow n
> printObjective n
> printConstraint n
>
> The last three are really just modifications on one theme.

I think we should have just printModel and printModel n. This is the
way it is actually implemented in C++.  I think FOUR new commands is a
mistake.

> printRow n
>
> prints row n, which could be a constraint if n>= 0 or an objective if
> n<0. I think it is a bit counterintuitive to have to specify
>
> printRow -2
>
> for the second objective, hence I am thinking of adding the possibility
> to specify
>
> printObjective 1
>
> instead. And once I got there, I figured I might as well add
>
> printConstraint n
>
> for symmetry.

I think it is too complicated.

> 2. They would be available both in interactive mode and at the command
> line, but only for files that reside on the local machine.
>
> 3. In interactive mode, the command would, of course, be activated
> immediately. If a .osil file is available (i.e., has been read
> previously), then we print the osil file or parts of it, if none is
> available, we look for MPS, nl or GAMS files, in that order. If no file
> is available at all, an error is generated.
>
> 4. In command line mode, the command would be activated just before the
> service method is called. If no service method is given, the default is
> solve, so the printModel command is executed just before the solve.

But I assume printModel is not the default, correct. I.e. if the user
does not specify a printModel, then nothing should get printed. Correct?

Still not sure I buy into this being necessary in command line mode.

> I have not yet thought through what would happen if the optimization
> instance resides on the remote machine. I guess in that case the print
> command needs to be activated from inside the osol file, right?

No, I would say we don't invoke. This is getting too complicated.

Cheers

--
Kipp Martin
Professor of Operations Research
kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
http://www.chicagobooth.edu/faculty/bio.aspx?person_id=12825325568
http://projects.coin-or.org/OS

Sent without Blackberry, Droid, iPhone, or any other
wireless device.