[Os-project-managers] printModel

Horand Gassmann Horand.Gassmann at Dal.Ca
Sun Oct 9 21:33:25 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

I have thought some more about the printModel command, and I have put
together some specs.

1. There will be four different commands:

     printModel
     printRow n
     printObjective n
     printConstraint n

The last three are really just modifications on one theme.

     printRow n

prints row n, which could be a constraint if n>= 0 or an objective if
n<0. I think it is a bit counterintuitive to have to specify

printRow -2

for the second objective, hence I am thinking of adding the
possibility to specify

printObjective 1

instead. And once I got there, I figured I might as well add

printConstraint n

for symmetry.

2. They would be available both in interactive mode and at the command
line, but only for files that reside on the local machine.

3. In interactive mode, the command would, of course, be activated
immediately. If a .osil file is available (i.e., has been read
previously), then we print the osil file or parts of it, if none is
available, we look for MPS, nl or GAMS files, in that order. If no
file is available at all, an error is generated.

4. In command line mode, the command would be activated just before
the service method is called. If no service method is given, the
default is solve, so the printModel command is executed just before
the solve.

I have not yet thought through what would happen if the optimization
instance resides on the remote machine. I guess in that case the print
command needs to be activated from inside the osol file, right?

When you have a chance, can you look this over and see if I am missing
something obvious?

Cheers

gus

Horand I. Gassmann, Professor

School of Business Administration, Dalhousie University
6100 University Avenue
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada , B3H 3J5
ph. (902) 494-1844
fax (902) 494-1107