[Os-project-managers] OS Constitution and CoinFinit.hpp

Kipp Martin kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
Mon Jan 31 22:47:16 EST 2011

Hi Gus:

Stefan -- feel free to ignore the below. I am copying you since your
email started this.

Stefan's email this evening has cleared up some cobwebs in the back of
mind. The discussion about CoinFinite.hpp is very much related to
something Jun and I discussed before you came on board. The idea, indeed
part of the OS Constitution, was to keep a big chunk of OS independent
from the rest of COIN-OR. In particular, we thought it was critical that
people could use the OS API (OSCommonInterfaces) without needing any of
the other COIN-OR projects. In fact, the OSCommon project with OSUtils,
OSCommonInterfaces, and OSAgent is designed to do just that. This way
people can process, read, write OSiL, OSoL, OSrL without other COIN-OR
projects. I still think this is a very good idea. Putting CoinFinite.hpp
in OSCommonInterfaces code blows this sky high.

So what do we do? Why not define our own OSIsnan fucntion and put the
OSIsnan into OSUtils?  We define nan in OSParameters so such an inline
function should be easy.

Kipp Martin
Professor of Operations Research
and Computing Technology