[Os-project-managers] optional doubles with no default values

Kipp Martin kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
Thu Jan 27 21:13:55 EST 2011

Hi Gus:

> <xs:complexType name="InitVarValue">
> <xs:complexType name="InitObjValue">
> <xs:complexType name="InitConValue">
> <xs:complexType name="BranchingWeight">
> <xs:complexType name="MaxTime">
>
> InitVarValue we talked about, and it seems that the next two should be
> treated the same way by analogy. However, I have my doubts about
> BranchingWeight and especially about MaxTime. Suppose I say
>
> <maxTime/>
>
> what should happen? Maybe I am not interpreting this one properly; all
> the others appear as attributes, this one is element content. Perhaps
> the above construct is actually not allowed by the schema.
>
> Any thoughts?
Well this seems to bring up a more general question. And a
constitutional issue. Let's say we have an object that gets
instantiated, in this case a jobOption. Should we explicitly provide a
value for every data member in the class?  Since maxTime is a double,
won't the compiler default value often be 0 when the JobOption is
instantiated. Not good, so we need to give a value. Right now we have

<xs:element name="maxTime" type="TimeSpan" default="INF" minOccurs="0"/>

so if we have

<maxTime/>

are you suggesting we change from INF to Nan?

Cheers

> Cheers
>
> gus

Kipp Martin