[Os-project-managers] Equal or equivalent?

Gus Gassmann Horand.Gassmann at dal.ca
Wed Jan 26 16:10:46 EST 2011

On 26 Jan 2011 at 14:48, Kipp Martin wrote:

> Hi Gus:
>
> Since we are meeting tomorrow we can hash this together, but a few thoughts.
>
> Given
>
> <variables>
>       <initVariableValues numberOfVar="0"/>
> </variables>
>
> why is it necessary to instantiate an initVariableValues object?  I
> assume you do this because as soon as the parser sees <initVariableValues
>
> it automatically instantiates an object in this class? Is this case?

Yes, this is the case. I guess I can move the 'new' command in the parser to
a point where we know that numberOfVar is greater than 0. This is a good
point. I had not thought of it.

> Is
> there something logically wrong with the member
>
> initVariableValues
>
> being null if numberOfVar="0"?

I can't see it. In fact, as I said in my original message I consider the two
versions to be functionally equivalent, and it is clear that in version 2
initVariableValues will be NULL. It therefore seems OK to make/keep it NULL
when reading version 1 also.

> If we change the schema so that <initVariableValues>  is
> only present when numberOfVar is strictly positive or we introducing an
> inconsistency with some part of some other schema?

Not if we do it everywhere there is a numberOf... that is equal to zero. But the
point is well taken: This restriction is not backwards compatible. I did not
really think we should go with that particular approach and onl ymentioned it
to be complete.

Cheers

gus