[Os-project-managers] talking points for December 22

Kipp Martin kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
Wed Dec 21 21:47:04 EST 2011

Hi Gus:

I have been spending a fair a amount of time thinking about what we have
discussed the last week or so and have some talking points for out meeting:

1) It would be nice to have in the OS library a class such as the
OSSolver class that modeling language developers could use in order to
invoke OS. For example, right now Mike Steglich with CMPL calls
OSSolverService at the command line and passes it files. It would
obviously be more convenient and efficient to be able to link to the OS
library directly and invoke the service methods directly. Writing a
large file to the command line is not as efficient as invoking the
service methods in memory. Indeed, for large files there could be a
large hit. A user of OS currently cannot do that conveniently.  One can
think of OSAmplClient in this vein also. OSAmplClient can be thought of
as AMPL invoking OS only we are writing the code not David Gay. Bill
Hart may want to use something like this also.

2) We also have a more complicated animal which is the interactive shell
in OSSolverService.

What to do?

I suggest we create a class, maybe call it OSServiceMethods and it does
just that, it executes one of our six service methods. My thinking is
that it will have a data member OSOptionsStruc. It is not clear to me
whether it should create its own OSOptionsStruc, or be passed one in the
constructor.

We keep OSSolverService pretty much as is with regard to the interactive
shell. However, what changes is that OSSolverService always uses
OSServiceMethods when it executes a service methods. OSSolverService
would no longer have a kill, solve, send, etc. Likewise OSAmplClient
would work by parsing a command line, filling in an OSOptinosStruc and
then calls OSServiceMethods. I still maintain that OSOptionsStruc should
NOT have any methods. It is a data holder.

Kipp Martin
Professor of Operations Research
and Computing Technology
Booth School of Business
University of Chicago
5807 South Woodlawn Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637
773-702-7456
kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
http://www.chicagobooth.edu/faculty/bio.aspx?person_id=12825325568
http://projects.coin-or.org/OS

Sent without Blackberry, Droid, iPhone, or any other
wireless device.