[Os-project-managers] Fwd: Re: Meeting on Wednesday

Horand Gassmann Horand.Gassmann at DAL.CA
Mon Dec 5 20:09:00 EST 2011

Kipp Martin <kmartin at chicagobooth.edu> wrote:

> [...]

Hi Jun,

maybe this is just a mixing of terminology. (I hope it is!) I had
absolutely no intention of implying any comparison to the layers of
communications. My point is and was: We have options that pertain to
the remote system (in the <system> element). These options will not be
understood by the remote solver, so perhaps they can be stripped out
before sending the rest on to the next piece of software in the chain.
Same for <service> and <job> stuff. Only the <optimization> element is
of any interest to the remote solver. But the OSSolverService is only
a front for the real solver behind it. It passes along the initial
values, initial bases, and only those optimization options that have
"name" attribute matching the solver name. But Couenne, for instance,
uses Bonmin, and it is possible to want to control Bonmin. This is
where the "category" attribute comes in. Obviously there is no need to
pass to Bonmin any options that it does not understand or that were
dealt with earlier. And Bonmin uses Cbc, and perhaps Clp underneath,
and it might be advantageous to control their behavior also. We
devised the colon notation for that. I have been referring to these
different components in the chain as "layers". Perhaps "levels" would
have been more appropriate, perhaps there even is a technical term I
am not aware of.

Anyway, I do think it is important that we get a clear understanding
that each element in the OSoL file has a unique destination, and that
players earlier in the chain can look at the option, but are not
allowed to act upon it. For instance, my OSoL file might contain
optimization options with name="Glpk". I would *not* want the server
to pull the plug just because the solver installed on that particular
system does not have Glpk linked in.

We have an even bigger problem with the OSrL file, because there
information is written into the file. It must be understood that each
element in the OSrL file is written by a unique piece in the software
chain, and nothing *ever* gets destroyed by this.

But before we can give such a guarantee, we must be sure that we agree
on the elements and their destination. I think layers.pdf will help in
this process.

Hope this helps rather than hinders the deliberations.

Cheers

gus