[Os-project-managers] Fwd: Re: Meeting on Wednesday

Kipp Martin kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
Mon Dec 5 18:33:30 EST 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Meeting on Wednesday
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 17:27:10 -0600
From: Jun Ma <majxuh at hotmail.com>
To: Horand Gassmann <Horand.Gassmann at Dal.Ca>, Kipp Martin
<kipp.martin at chicagogsb.edu>

I will get the  layers.pdf.

I feel a bit puzzled by the following sentence. But we can discuss on
Wednesday.
> We should introduce  some stronger language there to delineate a bit
> better who reads what

Talking about layers, first a word on OSI (Open Systems Interconnection
model, not the COIN Open Solver Interface). OS is not the equivalent of
OSI.
model.
(The Open Systems Interconnection model is a product of the Open Systems
Interconnection effort at the International Organization for
Standardization.
It is a prescription of characterizing and standardizing the functions of a
communications system in terms of abstraction layers.)

Rather OS, in a sense,  is one of the layers specified in OSI -- the
application layer.
We can of course discuss whether within the OS Protocol, we specify further
layers. But again, I never even thought of that; nor did I restrict that.

Whereas,  It is natural that the OSI model is layer based  (linearly pack
from top to bottom), it may not quite apply in OS.
The OSI model is about VERTICAL technical transport, while OS is about
HORIZONTAL domain logic.
For one, the application level logic of optimization process is NOT linear.
In fact the flow can be anything, e.g. the master optimization launches two
suboptimization in parallel.

So, it might just be two totally different things between the layers
mentioned in the OSI model and the OS optimization flow process.
The goal of OSI is to delineate and restrict and it is possible in that
area.
But, is the goal of OS also to restrict and delineate the implementation
(e.g. how to design the sever-side tiers)? Is it even possible or is it the
right thing for OS to interfere with?

Today, a tiered server side OS implementation is just our choice of
implementation. which may have given us the never intended impression that
OS was designed to be layered.

Again I am not trying to object to anything. In fact, I am more and more
leaning toward either the simplest design or a very thoughtful "layered"
design.
In fact, there is a mentioning of OSfL (OS flow Language) in the original
thesis. But that was intended to orchestrate different optimization
services
at a higher level than other component OSxLs.

I just hope that we don't confuse between different concepts and just mix
them together. This should pave the way for our Wednesday discussion.

Jun