[Os-project-managers] Consent agenda items

Gus Gassmann Horand.Gassmann at dal.ca
Wed Sep 29 14:56:22 EDT 2010

Hi guys,

Kipp and I talked today about ways we might be able to streamline some of
the discusions around schema constructs and came up with the idea of a
consent agenda, something they started using in the meetings of the
University Senate at Dal just recently.

Here is how it works: Items that are thought to be non-contentious are
bundled together in a single motion. Anyone can request to take an item off
the consent agenda, but many items such as approving the agenda,
approving the minutes or ratifying a decision rendered by one of the
committees are never debated, so they can be passed by general consent.
It speeds up the meeting.

We can adopt the consent agenda to our work as follows: Any one of us can
propose an item to the os-project-managers distribution list. The item should
have "Consent agenda item" in the subject line, so we can find them again
easily in the archives. The others are given limited time to respond; two
days, for instance.

Anyone has the right to withhold consent or to say "I need more time to
consider this issue", and then the item will be properly debated. This means
that the items to put on the consent agenda should really be only those that
we are reasonably confident will be adopted without further debate.

To test this, I will give a consent agenda item in a separate message.

Cheers

gus