[Os-project-managers] [Fwd: OSoL, OSrL, change sets 2819 and 3013]

Kipp Martin kmartin at chicagobooth.edu
Sun Nov 21 14:02:20 EST 2010

Hi Guys:

Before addressing the issues below here is some history.  This issue
goes back to an early Jun-Kipp battle before Gus came on board. After
doing OSiL we moved on to OSrL. I wanted to keep the numberOf stuff
required since I was working with arrays in C++ and needed to know the
number of things I was reading before reading them so I could do a new.
Jun did not. Jun won. I was forced to go these as optional and then
because I was working with C++ forced to use Vectors and not arrays.
Later when this issue was revisited we changed. Yea!

Is the following accurate?

OSiL -- we currently have numberOfXXX required
OSrL -- we currently have numberOfXXX required
OSoL -- we currently have numberOfXXX optional

So Gus, if I understand your proposal, it is basically to go back and
have 2/3 optional instead of 2/3 required. Is this correct?

I prefer we instead make OSoL required. Here is my logic. If we use
optional instead of required we impose a tax on people who want to use a
language such as C for implementation. In C there is no vector
construct. So if you don't know numberOfXXX this is a big problem. What
is the logic of imposing this tax on developers?

Gus, my vote is just the opposite of yours, my vote is to make the
numberOfXXX in OSoL required just like in OSiL and OSrL. This has always
been a strong preference on my part for the reason above.  I do NOT
remember agreeing to make them optional in OSoL. I must have been out voted.

Cheers

--
Kipp Martin
Professor of Operations Research