[OBOE] Fwd: Is it OK to use OBOE only for a smooth function? If so, how good is the performance?

Jean-Philippe Vial jphvial at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 03:25:39 EDT 2012

Hi!

Nidhi gave you the right answer. I would only qualify her assertion that
the power of OBOE is for the non-smooth case.

Exploiting the smoothness property in optimization algorithms may turn out
to be very difficult. OBOE applies to oracles delivering first order
information under the form of gradients or subgradients of a convex
objective and separating hyperplanes for the constraint domain. You can
expect that OBOE will solve such problems with reasonable efficiency,
provided the number of variables is not too large. (It does not mean that
OBOE cannot solve problems with huge number of variables using Lagrangian
duality, which reformulates the problem into one with much fewer
variables.)

Problems with smooth convex objective and  smooth convex functions for the
constraints may turn out to be very difficult for other optimization
algorithms. OBOE may be an alternative.

Regards, (and thanks to Nidhi)

Jean-Philippe Vial