[OBOE] OBOE - g2c deprecated in gcc-4.4 (used in Ubuntu 9.10 - karmic)

nidhi sawhney nsawhney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 06:16:04 EST 2010

Hello Berit,

> First, in AccpmLASolve.C, line111 , the 4. argument &A(0,0) raises a
> casting problem, which can be resolved by changing to A.addr() - According
> http://lapackpp.sourceforge.net/html/classLaGenMatDouble.html#c700d02217d67ef7a2a5810c59e04a4e
>
> After this "make" and "make install" runs smoothly, but make check fails.

Thanks for pointing that, I think its because the new compilers are more
stringent.

> Firstly, libtool is installed locally in the OBOE library and is an older
> version. Hence some of the commands are unknown.
>
> make  Test
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/berit/svn/MCF/src/OBOE/src/AccpmLA'
> /bin/bash ../../libtool --tag=CXX   --mode=link g++  -O3 -Wall -L./    -o
> Test MatrixTest.o libaccpmla.a /usr/local/lib/liblapackpp.la/usr/lib/liblapack.a /usr/lib/libblas.a -lg2c
> ../../libtool: line 659: X--tag=CXX: command not found
> ../../libtool: line 692: libtool: ignoring unknown tag : command not found
> ../../libtool: line 659: X--mode=link: command not found
> ../../libtool: line 809: *** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is
> deprecated.: command not found
> ../../libtool: line 810: *** Future versions of Libtool will require
> -mode=MODE be specified.: command not found
> gcc: no input files
> gcc: no input files
> gcc: no input files
> gcc: no input files
>
> The main problem is however that the linker cannot find g2c.
> In gcc-4.4 g2c is deprecated (see
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcc-4.4/+bug/477278  )
>
> Now gfortran is used and it does not contain g2c. libg2c0 can be found as a
> package, but linking it staticly actually requires building libg2c from
> scratch. As of now I have spent about 3 working days getting OBOE to work
> properly and I am wondering whether I could simply use gfortran? I suspect
> that the dependency to g2c migt have swapped to gfortran as it is blas,
> lapack and lapackcpp which has the dependendy. These source codes have new
> releases (the current version of lapackcpp is 2.5.2 which compiles neatly
> with gcc-4.4) and hence are probably not dependent on g2c. Do other parts of
> the code have g2c dependencies?

Yes, as you think the g2c dependency comes only from blas and lapack, I
havent tried gfortran so cant say if it could somehow be swapped.

> Which version of Ubuntu was the wiki instruction made for? Downgrading
> might solve my problems :-)
>
> I am notr sure which version it was, I am hoping Laurent Drouet (copied in
the email) might be able to answer that as he was involved in the making it
wokr on Ubuntu. Will keep you informed if I find out more.

-Nidhi