[Ipopt] Getting Accurate CPU Times from Ipopt

Steven Dirkse sdirkse at gams.com
Wed Jan 18 12:38:56 EST 2017

Anil,

Perhaps it's not the accuracy of the measurement but what is being
measured.  IIRC getrusage() measures the CPU time, not the wall clock
time.  And there are issues about what CPU time: user vs. system, all
threads in a process vs. just the calling thread.

-Steve

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Stefan Vigerske <stefan at math.hu-berlin.de>
wrote:

> Ipopt uses some standard functions (getrusage()) to measure CPU time, see
> IpUtils.cpp. I don't think that there is a more accurate measurement of
> time than that. I don't know the mex interface, but unless it does not just
> pass on the time measurement from Ipopt, there is little one could improve,
> I believe.
>
> On 01/17/2017 09:41 PM, Anil Rao wrote:
>
>> I would like to know how to get the most accurate CPU time from Ipopt.  I
>> am running a large set of jobs and I need the CPU time from each job. I am
>> using the MATLAB mex files compiled by Enrico Bertolazzi for my runs.  I am
>> finding that Ipopt does not seem to provide accurate CPU times using the
>> CPU time output from the mex interface.  I am grateful if somebody might be
>> able to help me get an accurate execution time.  Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Anil
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone.  Please excuse any typos.
>>
>> Anil V. Rao, PhD
>> Gainesville, FL 32607
>> Tel: 352-672-1529 (cell)
>> Email:  anilvrao at gmail.com
>> Website:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.anil
>> vrao.com&d=CwICAg&c=Ngd-ta5yRYsqeUsEDgxhcqsYYY1Xs5ogLxWPA_
>> 2Wlc4&r=k6EmmdGW84SCN3wW0TxH6Q&m=iJiciJVGLZOLnDOB9fpIdMt1Cyk
>> jYBE9RqjgMSI4BtU&s=vie-1qOE5fCRo0_EkTVVsZ9ufzczk6FR_KRmR6ogNSI&e=

>> UsEDgxhcqsYYY1Xs5ogLxWPA_2Wlc4&r=k6EmmdGW84SCN3wW0TxH6Q
>> &m=iJiciJVGLZOLnDOB9fpIdMt1CykjYBE9RqjgMSI4BtU&s=CZlfaro4GqP
>> HlNpufQoIbhMFN-T7rcmV2IUKrIJ79G4&e=
>>

> --
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.gams
> .com_-7Estefan&d=CwICAg&c=Ngd-ta5yRYsqeUsEDgxhcqsYYY1Xs5ogLx
> WPA_2Wlc4&r=k6EmmdGW84SCN3wW0TxH6Q&m=iJiciJVGLZOLnDOB9fpIdMt
> 1CykjYBE9RqjgMSI4BtU&s=fEOXrNh7rH1657UouMXdLBnFi8wyfu6lMpFCiYOlnDU&e=
> UsEDgxhcqsYYY1Xs5ogLxWPA_2Wlc4&r=k6EmmdGW84SCN3wW0TxH6Q
> &m=iJiciJVGLZOLnDOB9fpIdMt1CykjYBE9RqjgMSI4BtU&s=CZlfaro4GqP
> HlNpufQoIbhMFN-T7rcmV2IUKrIJ79G4&e=

--
Steven Dirkse, Ph.D.
GAMS Development Corp.,  Washington DC