[Ipopt] Altering parameter vector in IpOpt

Seth Watts watts2 at illinois.edu
Fri Jun 24 09:19:04 EDT 2016

Hello Ricardo -

I use Ipopt mostly for topology optimization problems in solid mechanics,
but I have done some shape optimization work as well (admittedly not
involving aerodynamics). I understand that you have nonlinear constraints
that specify what combinations of your parameters (the shape modes) are
feasible and which are not, e.g. the shape you are designing might have a
minimum surface area.

If there are parameter states which satisfy your geometric constraints, but
which are not states you want, I think that your best bets are to either
(1) remove the offending mode shapes from the parameter space altogether,
so that Ipopt cannot choose them, or (2) introduce another constraint
function that, when satisfied, precludes the states you don't want, or (3)
modify your objective function so that these states are non-optimal and
thus not chosen.

As a notional example, if you are designing an airfoil that must have a
given surface area, but Ipopt chooses shapes that are too thick for your
taste, you could (1) remove such thick shapes from the design space, (2)
introduce an upper bound on the airfoil thickness, or (3) add the airfoil
thickness to the objective function so that thinner airfoils are better
(though this will likely lead to trade-offs with other terms in your
objective, say the drag coefficient).

Another possibility in nonlinear programming is that starting your
optimization from a different initial design will result in different
(perhaps better) solutions which may exhibit the mode shapes you want. Have
you tried different starting points? I typically begin my designs from a
randomly-chosen initial design, unless there is a compelling reason to
always begin them from the same point.

In my opinion, any of these approaches is far superior to attempting to
circumvent Ipopt's algorithms by modifying the parameter state x in eval_f
from "outside" Ipopt. If you can explicitly state what it is you don't want
x to look like, then you should be able to remove it from the design space
and/or write a constraint to eliminate it. That way you are working with
Ipopt rather than against it.

- Seth