[Ipopt] solving non-smooth large scale problem using ipopt

Sebastian Nowozin nowozin at gmail.com
Fri May 8 10:57:40 EDT 2015

Hi Chivalry,

convex + non-smooth problems often originate from minimizing the maximum of
multiple smooth convex problems.

If this is the case in your instance, you can reformulate the problem by
introducing additional variables containing the individual objective
function values, and a set of inequality constraints.
The resulting instance is a smooth convex problem with convex constraints
and as such amenable using IpOpt.

Sebastian