[Ipopt] unusual crash in scaling

Damien damien at khubla.com
Thu Jun 18 11:15:30 EDT 2015

Hi,

I've had an intermittent crash that only happens in release builds
(yay...) for the last couple of months.  I just managed to catch it in
the debugger.  I'm posting this looking for guidance because I don't
want to lose my stack trace.  Sorry this is a little specific.

In GradientScaling::DetermineScalingParametersImpl, there's eventually a
call that ends up in GenTMatrix::ComputeRowAMaxImpl. The crash is
because irows[0] = 67108865 (irows[1] = 67108865 as well) and it's off
the end of the vec_vals array pointer.  There's about 5.2 million
nonzeroes in the Jacobian, so an index of 67 million is a tad high.  The
rest of the irows array looks right (1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, etc).

This is really hard to reproduce and is intermittent.  Can any of the
experts in the code point me to where to look?

Damien