[Ipopt] question about ipopt with ma86 or pardiso

Jonathan Hogg jonathan.hogg at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 9 03:26:59 EDT 2015

My rule of thumb on this is that if your ma27 takes more than about
0.5s/iteration it is probably worth trying a shared memory parallel
solver. If you're able to dump the matrices out (ma97_dump_mat option,
probably needs a line uncommented in the Ma97SolverInterface.cpp file)
I'm happy to run them on our machines and advise.

Other thing to note is that sometimes the scalings used by default in
non-MA27 solvers can be cause of slowness - see if there are any solver
specific options to disable them if they aren't needed.

I'm actually currently looking at algorithms for making small problems
go much faster, but we've not got any results yet (basically driving
parallelism and vectorization into the sparse blas-2 like operations
that are significant in small problems).

Jonathan.