[Ipopt] Continual Crashes with Mac OS-X MATLAB Mex Files

Tony Kelman kelman at berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 21 12:49:27 EST 2015

Well OSX is certainly a better platform for development work than Windows thanks to projects like homebrew. Though Apple has a habit of breaking everything every 6 months. Linux version upgrades are usually a bit smoother, but that’s because distributions have buildbots that recompile the world in a compatible way.

Looking over the tickets list again, there was a report that Ipopt 3.10.x might not have this problem. Ipopt 3.10 doesn’t have the code to use Matlab’s version of MA57, and I’m a little surprised since I don’t remember 3.10 and 3.11 being all that different, but it could be worth looking into. If you can identify the newest version that consistently works and the oldest version that consistently crashes, then maybe it was some change in the code or in BuildTools that seems to be causing problems more often on newer versions of OSX.

Looking at the history, I did make a few changes in the Matlab interface around that time - removed auxdata since it leaked memory, made the intermediate callback more capable, and a bunch of fixes in the build system. If it’s possible to bisect the problem down to a single commit, then maybe this is fixable.

-Tony